Sunday, July 1, 2012

MY SUPERLATIVE VACATION PART 2: THE SIDETRIPS

PART 1 of THE SIDETRIPS

1st Stop: Homage to the Divine Mercy Shrine, El Salvador, Misamis Oriental, Tallest Divine Mercy Statue in the World

After my climb in Mt. Apo, I did not have definite plans yet as to where I would be going and how I would be spending my next 5 days in Mindanao. I prefer my vacation to be spontaneous - just go whatever I could think of and wherever my feet would take me. I dont  want to spend too much time planning on a vacation and end up disappointed because the expectations were not met. My spontaneity did not fail me as I was able to visit some of the wonderful tourist attractions in Mindanao. 


SIGNAGE OUTSIDE THE DIVINE MERCY SHRINE


DIVINE MERCY SHRINE IN EL SALVADOR

On a bus ride to CDO, Sheng and I were having some good catch up conversation when she shared to me some of the places she also had been to in Mindanao when she is taking a break from work. She showed me photos from her phone including the image of the Divine Mercy Shrine which caught my attention. I said to her "Please accompany me there. I want to visit that place." She replied, "I think I could still use one more day of my vacation. Yes, I will accompany you mare!" I excitedly replied with a smile. Before she alighted in Malaybalay, Bukidnon, she said "I'll pick you at 9 AM tomorrow and Ill use my motorcycle to go there." Then, I knew I was in for another adventure. 

ME AT THE SHRINE WITH THE RENTED SARONG PANTS
I was not able to note the distance between Cagayan de Oro and the Divine Mercy Shrine but it was almost a 45 minute ride from CDO. Upon arriving at the shrine, I noticed that there was a signage that says that shorts are not allowed so I thought I would be denied an entry. Luckily, there is a stall inside that allows you to rent the proper attire for you to get in. The weather was too hot and putting in another cloth on top of your shorts made me uncomfortable but RESPECT FOR THE PLACE and the TRADITION is important so I abide with the rule wholeheartedly. 

 
SHENG IN DIVINE MERCY SHRINE




After roaming around the place, lighted candles and prayed, we opted to have a lunch at a nearby carinderia.  When we noticed that the sky was giving a sign that it would rain soon, we decided to leave the shrine and hurried our way back to CDO. Sheng dropped me off at Limketkai Mall where I bought some personal stuffs and she proceeded back to Bukidnon to get some rest before her new assignment at work the following day.

THE SHRINE IS REALLY TALL!
When I was at the Shrine, I called my dad to share my visit and he envied me because it was his dream to go there as well. I promised him that I would bring him and mom someday and hopefully I can bring them there next year. That for sure, would be some quality family bonding time!

Next: 2nd Stop: The Waterfalls Adventure











No comments:

Post a Comment